- Medium sized Pork Leg/Pork Shank
- 1 Glass/bottle of Sprit or 7-up ( Lemonade will do)
- 1 1/2 Cups of water
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsbp salt
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp msg or vetchin
- 2-3 cups of water ( covering the pata for boiling)
- Oil ( enough for deep frying)
Sauce Ingredients :
- 3/4 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 medium sized onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed and chopped
- 1-2 small red chilli pepper chopped
- salt and pepper
- Clean the pork shank/pork leg ( remove remaining hairs ) and slit skin on both side (3-4 slits) without cutting the bone.
- Place it in a deep pan with tight cover
- Add water, 7-up, msg and salt. Bring to a boil after 15 minutes, add baking soda. Baking soda will hasten the softening of the pata’s skin. Continue cooking for another hour or until tender. If water dries up and pata is not yet done, add another cup of water. Drain when done.
- Hang for 1 day or place in refrigerator overnight to make skin dry. Before frying, brush with patis (fish sauce) and sprinkle with flour generously.
- Deep fry until crispy and golden brown. Put off heat and pour 1/4 cup water. This will make the skin more crispy.
- Serve it with cracklings side dish! Enjoy eating!
Special thanks to Recipezaar.com for this yummy recipe!